These cute matcha green tea cookies were made by Rhonda Viani, one of the top pastry chefs in Vancouver. She's taken a common matcha treat to the next level by adding two unlikely ingredients - pomegranate and lime. The pomegranate is added in the form of pomegranate molasses, which is technically a condensed fruit syrup. It's optional, but it's worth getting your hands on. It's commonly used in Iranian and Turkish cooking, so search up a local grocery or find the syrup online.
- 250g flour
- 50g cornstarch
- 200g butter (diced)
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp matcha
- 2 tsp pomegranate molasses (optional)
- ½ vanilla bean or ½ tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lime
- Put all ingredients in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Mix until a dough forms.
- Roll on a sheet of parchment paper until dough is 1cm thick.
- Chill for ½ hour or more.
- Cut into any shape.
- Bake at 350° till just starting to golden around the edges. About 10 mins.
Mini Matcha Shortbread Cookies