Try these nostalgic matcha pop tarts to get the benefits and taste of matcha in a delicious treat! They're deliciously gluten-free, refined sugar free, and plant-based!
Did anyone else's parents refuse to allow pop tarts in the house back in the day? Well now you can enjoy all of that warm, toasty goodness - without the excessive sugar and additives.
The high-quality matcha combined with raspberries made for the perfect treat. It's hard to feel guilty eating these!
Yields about 8 pop tarts.
- 2 cups 1-2-1 gluten-free baking flour (plus more for rolling out dough)
- 2 tablespoons Amoda Organic Classic Matcha
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup vegan butter (or regular) cut into cubes and chilled
- 1 flax egg (*1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water, chilled for 10 mins)
- 2 tablespoons plant-based mylk (or regular milk)
- 1 small jar organic raspberry or strawberry preserves (enough for 9 tablespoons)
- Add flour, matcha, maple syrup, and salt to a bowl or food processor. Pulse or blend with a hand blender a few times to combine. Add cold butter cubes and pulse just until mixture crumbles to about pea size and starts to hold together when you press it between your fingers.
- Add flax egg and mylk. Pulse just until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Knead until it comes together into a ball. Wrap the ball with plastic and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- On a freshly floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle that's about 1/8 inch thick. Then, slice the flattened dough into 16 rectangles (about 5 inches x 3 inches each). Transfer these pieces to a parchment lined baking sheet and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoon of preserves onto half of the rectangles, leaving some space around the edge. Gently lay the empty rectangles on top of the jam filled halves. Using the end of a fork, gently press on the edges to seal the pair together. Use a knife to create a few small slits in the top of each pop tart.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Keep an eye on them to ensure they don't overcook!
- Let pop tarts cool completely and then dig in!
* Optional: Dust with powdered sugar or a sugar glaze.
* Store in the fridge and enjoy within a few days.
These vegan and gluten-free matcha pop tarts will easily become a favourite. Made them at the start of the week and have a quick treat on hand whenever you've got that craving for something tasty!