Here's a cocktail idea that will get you thinking differently about oolong. The roasted note of this oolong infuses nicely into vodka. When mixed with tart berries and sweetened up, you get a perfect patio cocktail. You'll need about a half hour before you want to drink this because we infuse the tea right in the vodka and that takes 25 minutes to get a full flavour.
This cocktail uses a liquor that doesn't get enough attention! Creme de Cassis is a black currant liqueur. It's a great liqueur to have on hand for your summer cocktails because it's one of few really well balanced fruit liqueurs - lush fruit without the cloying sweetness. You may know Creme de Cassis from the champagne cocktail Kir Royale.
Let's get started. You'll first need to boil a bit of water just to rinse the oolong leaves and get the tight balls of tea leaves to open up.
- Rinse 7.5g (about 3 tsp) of Dark Roast Iron Buddha (or other darker oolong) with hot water. Make sure to drain the water completely.
- You can do this next step in the vessel you rinsed the leaves in, or you can transfer the leaves to a mason jar. Add 2oz of vodka to the leaves and let it steep for at least 25 minutes.
- Strain the leaves from the vodka and add Creme de Cassis. Start with just a touch and see how it tastes for you. If you don't have creme de cassis on hand, try using a raspberry, cranberry or blackcurrant compote. Make sure theres sugar in that compote!
- Add 1-2 drops of bitters.
- Add ice, put the lid on the mason jar, shake and serve!
Technically, this is a martini served on ice. So, you can make this in a proper martini shaker and serve in a martini glass if you like! And, of course, you can double or triple this recipe to make 2-3 cocktails.
What do you think about using Oolong tea in a cocktail? Have you tried it before?